I'm not even gonna write Top 10 Reasons how things were better before Year 2K, cos there're undeniably more ways than that, and the digits don't really matter, somehow.
For the first, MUSIC was way better then. Days before R&B (or at least how it wasn't that popular back then), hip-hop and those new age futuristic music that we have now. One Usher was a nice change, many Kayne Wests and Sean Kingstons later, I can't even tell the difference between the songs.
Despite the days of Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Westlife, N'SYNC, Boyzone, 98 degrees, 911, and all the rest of the lame band names they gave themselves, their music was..... at least far more memorable. We know it is when we could sing along to the Spice Girls singing "Stop right now, thank you very much, I need somebody with the human touch" at the Victoria's Secret show '08. And at least there were sappy love songs at those days.... people would dedicate "God must have spent a little more time on you" on radio shows, but now? I think "Beautiful girls" or other sex connotations-infused r&b tunes would make the cut.
And i thought that was bad music, back then. At least there's alternative music to turn to today.... which makes life slightly better. Then & now, at least they're just as good, to me.
Next, MOVIES. I dunno about you... but as i'm watching 10 Things I Hate About You now, i'm trying to recall all the recent chick flicks that made an impression........... and i couldn't recall any. I couldn't even recall what Mean Girls were all about, or why the girls went about thrashing John Tucker and how he has to DIE. Those were the days with She's All That, Drive Me Crazy, Never Been Kissed, My Best Friend's Wedding, Wedding Singer, etc and i think those were some of the sweetest shows that i'd re-watched again & again.... And after finally watching Hairspray, i can't help comparing to how i really prefer Grease over this.
At least they're doing so many adaptations from novels to the big-screen today that it doesn't really matter what those scriptwriters could come up with. PLEASE, STOP STRIKING ALREADY! I NEED MY TV/MOVIE FIX!
And perhaps one of the most important reasons was that.... before year 2000, we were all safely tucked away in PRIMARY SCHOOL. Those were some of the best days in my life, and the wildest (and baddest) thing I ever did was to skip choir practice to go to Tampines Mall for a movie. At least that was exciting to me then! It's harder to find a thrill as I grow older and it's ironic how I wouldn't even dare to sit on a roller coaster ride now for some thrill......
Oh yes, talking about primary school, do you realise you were probably RICHER when you were in primary school? I have no idea where my source of money come from when i was younger or how i managed to even have savings but i somehow did.... and as i grow older and supposedly wiser about finance, at least i know where they come from today, but i have absolutely no idea where they go to.... it simply diminishes and vanishes. Amazing thing, i tell ya.
And when I were young, it doesn't really matter what I wore. At least FASHION wasn't exactly my main concern back then. Back in those days, OP (Ocean Pacific) was probably the coolest thing i ever own, and i'd go out wearing my Mickey Mouse tee-shirt and Mickey Mouse berms (it was my FAVE and PROUDEST combination). Oh Ginger, don't deny wearing these. We were always so happy to find out we wore matchy-matchy when we were out! Only cos we were always wearing the same stuff!!! HAHA!
Last but not the least, BOYS. Boys were so much easier to deal with when i was younger. And it's so much easier to join in their clique as well. A simple interest in football, ditching your demure manners (not that i ever had these) to join in their boys' conversation were perhaps all it took to be friends with the boys. Maybe we were all too young to fall in love, so being pals was like the next best thing.
And as i grow older, thinking that i'd understand them BETTER with age, i am so wrong about this (and this is the kind of thing you realise only when you get older). Maybe as I THINK i'm beginning to know better, THEY have evolved by then! Sometimes i really don't know if they are so simple or beneath this simplicity lies a complexity that I just couldn't grasp.
Before year 2000, i had sweet & simple visions of how my future boyfriend and i would be, you kno, things we say or do (influenced from the movies, of cos). But after year 2000, all simple things became difficult things to achieve.
As I grow older, little things do not seem so little anymore. People are harder to understand, maybe cos everyone grows to be more mindful of themselves and guarding themselves than those early days where we did things off guards, laugh at little things that may not be funny, or maybe we POSSESSED a sense of humor back then.
Hmmm... i don't know if it's the millennium that changes things or growing older that changes the perception of everything. If only everyone could be more child-like, throwing away those defenses and i don't know, doesn't take things so hard? Maybe life would be a lot better.
Ahh, such a poignant entry. I'm almost proud of myself :)
For the first, MUSIC was way better then. Days before R&B (or at least how it wasn't that popular back then), hip-hop and those new age futuristic music that we have now. One Usher was a nice change, many Kayne Wests and Sean Kingstons later, I can't even tell the difference between the songs.
Despite the days of Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Westlife, N'SYNC, Boyzone, 98 degrees, 911, and all the rest of the lame band names they gave themselves, their music was..... at least far more memorable. We know it is when we could sing along to the Spice Girls singing "Stop right now, thank you very much, I need somebody with the human touch" at the Victoria's Secret show '08. And at least there were sappy love songs at those days.... people would dedicate "God must have spent a little more time on you" on radio shows, but now? I think "Beautiful girls" or other sex connotations-infused r&b tunes would make the cut.
And i thought that was bad music, back then. At least there's alternative music to turn to today.... which makes life slightly better. Then & now, at least they're just as good, to me.
Next, MOVIES. I dunno about you... but as i'm watching 10 Things I Hate About You now, i'm trying to recall all the recent chick flicks that made an impression........... and i couldn't recall any. I couldn't even recall what Mean Girls were all about, or why the girls went about thrashing John Tucker and how he has to DIE. Those were the days with She's All That, Drive Me Crazy, Never Been Kissed, My Best Friend's Wedding, Wedding Singer, etc and i think those were some of the sweetest shows that i'd re-watched again & again.... And after finally watching Hairspray, i can't help comparing to how i really prefer Grease over this.
At least they're doing so many adaptations from novels to the big-screen today that it doesn't really matter what those scriptwriters could come up with. PLEASE, STOP STRIKING ALREADY! I NEED MY TV/MOVIE FIX!
And perhaps one of the most important reasons was that.... before year 2000, we were all safely tucked away in PRIMARY SCHOOL. Those were some of the best days in my life, and the wildest (and baddest) thing I ever did was to skip choir practice to go to Tampines Mall for a movie. At least that was exciting to me then! It's harder to find a thrill as I grow older and it's ironic how I wouldn't even dare to sit on a roller coaster ride now for some thrill......
Oh yes, talking about primary school, do you realise you were probably RICHER when you were in primary school? I have no idea where my source of money come from when i was younger or how i managed to even have savings but i somehow did.... and as i grow older and supposedly wiser about finance, at least i know where they come from today, but i have absolutely no idea where they go to.... it simply diminishes and vanishes. Amazing thing, i tell ya.
And when I were young, it doesn't really matter what I wore. At least FASHION wasn't exactly my main concern back then. Back in those days, OP (Ocean Pacific) was probably the coolest thing i ever own, and i'd go out wearing my Mickey Mouse tee-shirt and Mickey Mouse berms (it was my FAVE and PROUDEST combination). Oh Ginger, don't deny wearing these. We were always so happy to find out we wore matchy-matchy when we were out! Only cos we were always wearing the same stuff!!! HAHA!
Last but not the least, BOYS. Boys were so much easier to deal with when i was younger. And it's so much easier to join in their clique as well. A simple interest in football, ditching your demure manners (not that i ever had these) to join in their boys' conversation were perhaps all it took to be friends with the boys. Maybe we were all too young to fall in love, so being pals was like the next best thing.
And as i grow older, thinking that i'd understand them BETTER with age, i am so wrong about this (and this is the kind of thing you realise only when you get older). Maybe as I THINK i'm beginning to know better, THEY have evolved by then! Sometimes i really don't know if they are so simple or beneath this simplicity lies a complexity that I just couldn't grasp.
Before year 2000, i had sweet & simple visions of how my future boyfriend and i would be, you kno, things we say or do (influenced from the movies, of cos). But after year 2000, all simple things became difficult things to achieve.
As I grow older, little things do not seem so little anymore. People are harder to understand, maybe cos everyone grows to be more mindful of themselves and guarding themselves than those early days where we did things off guards, laugh at little things that may not be funny, or maybe we POSSESSED a sense of humor back then.
Hmmm... i don't know if it's the millennium that changes things or growing older that changes the perception of everything. If only everyone could be more child-like, throwing away those defenses and i don't know, doesn't take things so hard? Maybe life would be a lot better.
Ahh, such a poignant entry. I'm almost proud of myself :)
No comments:
Post a Comment